November 3 – December 3, 2017
Boulder Public Library
1001 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder, Co. 80301
Call for Illustrators and Writers of Children’s books that live in Colorado!
A fantastic opportunity to participate in a showcase of children’s book illustrations during the month of November.
Each illustrator accepted into the show will have one finished, framed illustration (ready to hang with wire on the back) from their book or book dummy accompanied with a 32” x 40” foam core Educational Board featuring some aspect of your process to show the public how you created your piece. (If you need examples, look at some of my previous blog entries.) For example, you may want to show a series of your sketches featuring how you created one of your characters, or show your storyboard. This isn’t a usual gallery show, but it is a show with an educational element to inform the public about how we work.
Participants must deliver and pick up their pieces at the library gallery in Boulder and either bring goodies for the opening (on opening night) or donate $10.00 upon delivery of your work to purchase refreshments on your behalf. More details about delivery and pick up time and other details will be available upon acceptance into the show. To enter, fill out this form: https://airtable.com/shrXMw13FfJtNYMgs
For Both Writers & Illustrators:
Color Copies of Published Books: Please mail a printed color copy of each of your book covers. These will be featured in a large display within the exhibit.
Press Notebook: Print two pages for the Notebook that will be on public display throughout the show. The pages will be shown as a spread. Mail these pages along with the Color Copies (above).
- Page 1 shows your book/s (8.5″ x 11″) Show images of your book covers in any creative format you like.
- Page 2 is a Press Sheet (8.5″ x 11″) This page is written content about you and your book/s. Include on this sheet with names of author/illustrator, a short bio forauthor/illustrator, and contact/book ordering information.
Speaking and demonstration slots are available on the weekends for writers and illustrators to speak in the exhibit gallery. If you’re interested in participating, we need creatives to talk about the children’s publishing field, talk about their process in writing or illustrating or talk about the many kinds of children’s books that are published. A 20 min talk with 10 minutes at the end for QnA is a wonderful format, but talks up to 1 hour will be considered. We’re open to varying ideas but we must have your speaking idea submission sent via email by the 28th of August (for the fall newsletter sent out by the library). There may be a small stipend for speakers.
To Apply/Due Dates:
- Before Aug. 28– Submissions for lectures (1 paragraph describing your talk) due August 28, 2017. Email submission your and any questions to Roberta Collier-Morales (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject header: Boulder Kid Book Exhibit
- Before Sept. 28 – Illustrators, submit your entry form here for exhibiting your illustration and educational board. Include a paragraph about your educational board and a 72dpi jpeg in your submission. Last day to submit is September 28, 2017.
(Art drop-off date/time T.B.A.)
FORM LINK: https://airtable.com/shrXMw13FfJtNYMgs
- Before Oct. 15 – MAIL 8.5″x11″ Color Copies of Published Book Covers AND Press Notebook (pages 1 and 2) to 1418 Longs Peak Ave, Longmont, CO 80501. Must be postmarked by October 15, 2017.
More information will be emailed out upon acceptance into the show.
PLEASE SHARE THIS CALL WITH ANY COLORADO WRITERS & ILLUSTRATORS YOU KNOW!